So what is That Online Stuff anyway? Well at its core it’s me (Priya) looking to help you (the small business owner of a pet-related business) ‘go digital’ with real, practical and useful advice.
And why? Well, I’m a sole trader too – in fact I’m one of the 1.3 million small businesses in Australia that employ just 1 person (the owner!) – and I know how frustrating it can be when you’re spending all your time working in the business rather than on the business.
I’m a bit luckier than most though when it comes to this online stuff – I have a 20 year background in IT and online media, marketing and communications. My experience includes
- working for an Australian software company as a trainer, documentation writer and software quality assurance tester;
- doing online social media and communications for the Royal Australian Navy;
- working as a Marketing and Communications tutor at Deakin University
- writing a book on how to master your to do list and increase your productivity;
- working for Google as a Product Expert in Google Calendar and
- being the IT help desk and online business consultant for most of my family who also all run small businesses!
But don’t worry, if there’s one thing I don’t do it’s ‘talk the jargon’ – in fact I’ve got years of experience in translating geek-speak into something most people can understand. So the advice I give here is real, applicable and best of all – understandable!
But what does Going Digital mean?
Well the 2018 Small Business Digital Taskforce defined it as adopting digital technology – whether that is outward/customer facing technology (such as websites, social media and e-commerce applications) or inward facing business process technology (such as cloud software, customer relationship management, and supply chain management).
I’m not going to focus on everything that Going Digital entails in this website but I will be giving as much advice and information as I can. And if you’d like to know more about topics that I’m not covering, get in touch and I’ll see how I can help (or who I can put you in touch with if I can’t help).
But why Go Digital anyway?
Well, the taskforce found that ‘going digital’ may
- save a small business time, allowing more time to spend on the business or with family;
- provide a small business with the flexibility and mobility to work ‘anywhere, anytime’;
- increase a small business’ revenue by reaching new customers and markets;
- protect a small business’ investment.
All pretty good reasons in my book to Go Digital! So let’s get started shall we? Feel free to roam around the website – click on the category links in the right hand sidebar to see everything I’ve written about different topics – and remember to sign up for the newsletter below so you can get each new article sent directly to your inbox.
Signup for newsletter